Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Planting the "Let's Get Engaged" Seed

If you read my last post, you know how Mr. Palm Frond and I met, but now let me tell you about the sneaky way I hinted to him that I thought getting engaged sounded pretty good...

First of all, let me say that we had already started talking about marriage, but the subject generally only came up after drinking a bottle of wine or two, if you know what I’m saying.

After living with Mr. PF for over two years, I was headed to grad school.  This was during the recession.  He had a great job, but I had no job, and he had no prospects near the school I was going to.  So our relationship became long-distance.  It was very difficult, but it was the best decision we could have made for our future.

In the summer before school started, I couldn’t help myself from perusing photos of engagement rings online.  I collected a few pictures of my favorites and saved them in a folder on the desktop of his computer.  I labeled the folder ‘Top Secret,’ hoping the name would entice him to see what was inside while I was away at school.  I also included a little notepad document that gave him my ring size!  Passive-aggressive much? 

It turns out that he didn’t notice the folder until over a year later!  At that point, he was already looking at rings himself, and had his eye on the perfect one, the one he proposed with a few months later.  He actually designed it himself on bluenile.com.  At least my folder helped him with the sizing. =)

This is the ring he designed for me, more beautiful than I ever imagined it would be:



Did anyone else try to plant the marriage/engagement ring seed in their S.O.’s head?  What did you do, and did it work?

No comments:

Post a Comment